Sunday, December 29, 2013

Young Women In Excellence

P1050777P1050778P1050779P1050780P1050781Alice-Anne broke out the big vacuum!

We had Young Women in Excellence the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It was a great night! We made it a goal for all the girls to try their hardest to pass off one whole Value and earn a ribbon (including us leaders) and we were just so proud of the girls.  Almost all of them did at least one project and got one ribbon this year. We were just so proud of them all! I earned my ribbon for knowledge and made a dress for Maggie for my project, which really was a huge challenge! I learned a lot though. One thing is that patterns that you buy are really of no use and it is a lot easier to just eyeball it and not even waste your time or money with those dang patterns!

Little did I know that just a few short weeks after this night I would be released from my calling as 2nd Counselor in our Young Women Program.  They released Alice-Anne as president and me as second counselor.  We had both been in for a little over 3 years and I must say I was a little relieved after the shock and sadness faded away.  This was the funnest calling ever! The girls were amazing and the leaders that I served with were so much fun to hang out with and it was hard for us to stay on track at meetings and not start talking about just our day to day lives mixed with business. All of our husbands knew that 2 hours was a minimum for these meeting and this happened twice a month, plus we had mutual every Wednesday, temple trips once a month, class presidency meetings and trying to support our girls by going to their after school activities.  It really was a full time calling. Luckily we were able to go out with a bang.  The Bishop gave us permission to have our progressive dinner the following Wednesday that we had been planning even though we were already released.  So we had our ugly sweater progressive dinner, which I won by the way (even though there wasn’t really a contest!) But before all that we had the Sunday, where they announced that we were released and I was so excited when I got to church that morning and then 2 of the girls came up to me and were telling my all these plans they had for helping some less active girls start coming again and these great activities they had thought of and I started tearing up thinking of not getting to hang out with them anymore.  So they released us and Alice-Anne and I went into Young Women for the last time and we said our good-byes to the girls. There wasn’t a dry eye in the room and was so hard to say good bye. Even though I can see them whenever I want it still is not the same.  I made such great friends through serving with some great women.  I don’t know that it has officially hit quite yet, since we have had Christmas and all these breaks, but I think once all the guests are gone and I get back to my normal routine I will notice and have a little more time. I know my kids will notice because now anytime that I make treats they won’t be for meetings or mutual! I was so lucky to serve with Alice-Anne. She is such a great example…even with her awkward comments sometimes…and she always had a smile to give and an ear to listen  to everyone around her. Thanks for serving so well, Alice-Anne and for being such a great friend! And thanks to all you other leaders (you know who you are) for making this calling so great and making me laugh so hard each week! Y’all are amazing!!

No comments: