Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving Part 1

 Meme and the kids baking cookies!
 Parker, Papa and Meme
 I love Maggie in this picture with Meme!
 Great Grandma Turnbull and Parker

After 4 Thanksgivings in Utah, we finally made it home to Arkansas to celebrate and it was Awesome!!:)  It was quite the roller coaster leading up to the trip though.  Everything we had planned fell apart, when we found out we had to get a new transmission for our van.  For those of you who don't know, transmissions are not cheap...not even close.  My van had started making this weird squeak sound when it shifted on back in the end of October.  We finally took it in and the car guy informed us that he didn't know how we are still driving the van and it didn't make since.  The transmission has shards of metal in it and has been deteriorating and there is no explanation how it is still running...of course the explanation we have is by the grace of God.  So it was a couple of weeks before we were supposed to driving out to Arkansas for Thanksgiving.  Oh and did I mention we were supposed to take Trish and Gabby with us and Gabe was going to ride back with us on the way home?? So we found out the problem and found out how much it would be to fix it and knew there was  no way that we could come up with the money in time.  So I had to make some very hard phone calls to every one and tell them we could not come to Arkansas.  Trish and Gabe were very understanding and Trish said that she would just drive her and Gabby out by herself and then bring Gabe back with her.  I was devastated.  We had been planning this for almost a year and it would be the first time my family has all been together in over 5 years. I was so depressed and down, until I was riding in the car with Maggie to go to the store and she said, "Mommy, are you sad?" I said, "Yes, I am" Then she said, " I like it better, when you are happy and Jesus likes it better too!" Out of the mouths of babes, right?! So I sucked it up and tried to think positive about being in Utah for Thanksgiving.  I went to the temple on Thursday night thinking about our situation and I was sitting waiting and reading the Book of Mormon and I read 3 Nephi 13 and in the last few verses it said : 
 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
 32 For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
 33 But aseek ye first the bkingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.
 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. aSufficient is the day unto the evil thereof.
 Sorry I couldn't get my mind to paraphrase it...but the answer was right there and so simple.  Heavenly Father would find a way for us to go.  I went home and told David about it and told him I wasn't worried because I knew we were going to Arkansas and it would all work out.  David was a little doubtful about my answer and said to me, "Jen, maybe the answer is that it will work out for us to be in Utah for Thanksgiving.  I knew deep down that wasn't it.  David needed more convincing though.  So we were at church on Sunday and I got a text from Trish.  She said that her and Gabby could fly home and back for practically free because of her miles and that we could borrow her car to take to Arkansas.  I told David this and he couldn't say no!!! It was crazy how it all came together and worked out better that first planned.  We hit some pretty bad snow on the way home from Arkansas in Colorado and Trish's car does a lot better in the snow that ours.  Thank goodness for a giving family to help us all be together for the holiday!:)
We had quite a few obstacles on the car ride, but it was well worth it!  On the start of the trip we didn't have any music of any kind to listen to because we had pushed a cord in the trunk and made the speakers go out...that was fun.  Then we had a dvd player,  but couldn't find the dvds for it AND the adapter for it was missing some pieces.  It made for a car ride of a lot of talking!:)  The kids were amazing on the car ride.  They really are the best little travelers.  We left on Friday at 2:00 p.m. and got to Arkansas on Saturday at 1:00 p.m., Arkansas time! Amazing time for a family of 5 including a baby. 
We spent the first few days in Dardanelle with the Torgersons and then headed down to Benton to see Pam and Marji.  More pictures to come of the rest of our trip!:)

1 comment: