Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Elizabeth’s Story

 

So I figured since I am not tired at the moment and Elizabeth is sleeping well, I will write about her joining our family.  Yesterday I had a doctor’s appointment and the doctor told me that I was dilated to a three and 80% percent effaced, which I was frustrated by because I have been  that for about 3 weeks.  So he stripped my membrane and then we set up my day to be induced for this coming Friday.  Then I went home and we had Giselle over for the night since she is 38 weeks along and her husband had to go on a business trip for a couple of days and she didn’t want to be alone incase something happened.  So I woke up this morning with some light cramps around 7:00 a.m. They weren’t too painful or anything, but did feel different, so I caught David before he went to work and told him he might just want to wait 20 minutes or so to make sure this wasn’t anything. So I went and took a shower, did my hair and make up all the while having contractions about 1-2 minutes apart.  They were uncomfortable, but not awful and I really needed a shower this morning.Smile  So at 8:00 we headed to the hospital and Giselle graciously stayed with Parker and Maggie.  I was still a 3 this morning, when I got to the hospital, but after an hour I was a four so they checked me into labor and delivery. My doctor came by a little bit after I got settled and broke my water around 10:30. About 10 minutes later the contractions were just unbearable, so I told them to get me my best friend the anesthesiologist pronto! So he got there and gave me the epidural. After about 20 minutes I was still feeling intense contractions. So he came back and gave me a dose of some very strong medicine, which worked very well!  Apparently my contractions were just too intense and close together, so the epidural was having a hard time catching up. 

So then I was dilated to a 7 by 11:00 a.m. and a 10 by noon.  The doctor came in and I started pushing.  It was hard to push with the medication so strong. I couldn’t move my legs without help.  She was coming, but needed some help, so Doctor Dinger used the vacuum to help her out.  She came out and gave a sweet little cry. They handed her over to me and then after a little bonding time they took her and cleaned her up and weighed her. 

Then we got moved over to our new room and she got to meet her family!  We were lucky to have so many great visitors.  Then David took them all home and it was just Elizabeth and me. She got her first bath around 8:30 tonight and wasn’t a huge fan of it, but did well. She has been out cold since about 9:00 after her traumatic bath experience.  Can’t wait to get her home and have another little baby girl to dress up! 

After 38 weeks and 6 days I am so glad to not be pregnant anymore.  She is much more fun outside of my stomach! So glad to have this baby girl join our family!

1 comment:

Alice-Anne said...

I love birth stories and I thought I had heard all the details of this one but reading it I realized I hadn't. So I enjoyed this! And you look WAY too good to have just had a baby...no fair!